Friends, has this situation ever happened to you:
You are getting ready to practice some yoga, whether it be a quick routine at home, or participating in a class at the gym or your favourite studio. Suddenly, as you are in savasana or sitting comfortably, you get a whiff of something awful. It’s not your clothing, that just came out of the wash. It’s not you, you haven’t even started class yet and you remembered deodorant today. Maybe it’s… no… it can’t be… your MAT?!?! You lean down to check and confirm that stank is coming right from your mat.
This is a situation I have run into recently, and let me tell you it is difficult to be in that yoga state of mind when all you can concentrate on is the stink of your mat. There are many places where you can purchase yoga mat deodorizers. The biggest problem I’ve found is that many of them are quite expensive.
Why not make your own custom cleaner/deodorizer?! It is very simple, and you can customize the scent, and essentially the cleaner, to your heart’s desire.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- Measuring cup (will depend on the size of your spray bottle)
- 1 part warm Water
- 3 parts White Vinegar
- 10-15 drops of your Essential Oil(s) of choice (found mine on Amazon here)
- Add the water and white vinegar to your bowl. Use the spoon to stir them up.
- Add 15-20 drops of your selected essential oil(s) to the bowl and stir.
- Use the funnel to add mixture to the spray bottle. Once filled, shake the bottle to make sure that the mixture is even more well-combined.
- Spray all over your mat and wipe down. Once dried, enjoy your stank-free mat!
An alternate (and even easier) way to make your spray is to add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake, shake, shake baby! Once it is all mixed up, spray the mixture on your mat and wipe it down with a rag of your choice.
This is truly the beauty of this DIY, it is so easy to make, customizable, and will help you focus on your yoga practice that much easier.