Making your own Christmas decorations is a great way to add personality to your home this holiday season. They can also serve as a Christmas gift for someone if you feel like being crafty this holiday season. These two easy Christmas decorations are sure to get you into the holiday spirit without breaking the bank.
Wreaths are a great way to show your personality around the holidays. There are so many different types of wreaths out that, you can really find something that tickles your fancy.
What You’ll Need:
- Garland of your choice
- Foam wreath
Really, it’s simple. Just wrap the garland around the foam wreath. There are a few options to secure the ends: you can tie them off (like we did), glue gun the ends, or use a push pin to secure them.
Personally, I felt like the tying was probably a safer bet anyway, and it looks awesome on my door!
Truth time: this sign did not turn out as well as my Mother’s Day one did…
I think it had to do with the stickers I was using. It was odd though, some of those stickers couldn’t stay on the wooden board no matter how much I tried, while the ones that actually stayed, wouldn’t come off! I think next time I make one of these, I will go back to the original stickers I used (which I did for the M’s which you will notice came off easily!).
What You’ll Need:
- Wooden board
- Paint colours of your choice
- Paint brush
- Sticker letters
- Something to lay the board on so you won’t get paint all over
- After selecting your base colour, paint only the face of the board, NOT the edges. Once you have reached the desired colour, leave it to dry.
- After the paint as dried, you can add your phrase(s) with the stickers. I originally was going with “Merry Christmas, Fa La La La La” but a bunch of the la la’s fell off so I improvised with what stayed on. Make sure these stickers are on securely, you don’t want them to come off while you’re painting on top of them. Place the board on top of whatever you have chosen to be prevent you from getting paint on your floor or table (I chose Christmas wrapping paper).
- Next, you will be painting your top coat. Feel free to put on as many coats as you feel is needed in order to get the colour you desire.
- Once the top layer of paint is dry and you are happy with the resulting colour, take your tweezers to carefully remove the stickers from your board.
Again, while this one didn’t turn out as well as my Mother’s Day version, you can still get the gist of what to expect. I will try to make this sign again, learning that these dollar store stickers are not board/paint friendly. Or Stefanie friendly.
The beauty of these decorations is that you can make them yourself, with a friend or loved one, and you can gift them to whomever you desire. I personally love homemade gifts and these two are all age friendly!