This past Wednesday, my mom graduated from Brock University! I wanted to make something sweet and special after all her years of hard work and the typical cupcake recipes just weren’t jumping out on me. I grabbed my copy of Macarons, Cupcakes & Cake Pops to check out the cupcake recipes and one stood out: Blueberry Cupcakes.
First of all, blueberries have become one of my latest favourite fruits (I can thank Tone It Up for that) and the cupcakes looked so delicious in the book I just had to try.
Initially reading the recipe, it didn’t flow the way cupcake/cake recipes usually do. I had to whip the eggs and sugar together, and even my mom thought it was odd as usually you whip the butter and eggs together to start. I decided to follow as directed since worst case: I would just find a nearby bakery and order cupcakes. Thankfully, though, the batter worked perfectly and tasted amazing.
In the morning, my mom made the icing for me as I got ready for her grad and it tasted so good. A cream cheese blueberry frosting? Heck to the yes. I then took my 2016 toppers out and gave each of the cupcakes it’s marker. My family and I loved the cupcakes; the actual cake wasn’t overly sweet which complemented the frosting perfectly. Enjoy the recipe!
Yields: 14-18 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
5 tbsp butter, melted
3 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
About 1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
10 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions for Cupcakes
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Mix together the flour, baking powder, and vanilla powder.
3) Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
4) Sift the flower mixture into the egg batter a little at a time, alternating with adding the milk and melted butter. Beat together until it becomes a smooth batter.
5) Distribute the batter into the cupcake liners and sprinkle chocolate and blueberries over them. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
Directions for Frosting
1) Mix the blueberries with a hand blender. Pass the puree through a sieve to get it completely smooth.
2) Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and blueberry puree in with the cream cheese. Add the cream, a little at a time, beating with an electric mixer until it becomes a fluffy frosting.
3) Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes and decorate as you wish.